Playground Fundraising and Updates
Why a new playground?
- There are over 425 kids at Abraham Erb. It is too crowded for them to all be on the play structure at once.
- Primary students are allowed on the play structure at nutrition breaks in order to maintain safe play, leaving junior students in Grades 4-6 with few opportunities at nutrition breaks
- The existing play structure is used significantly during breaks, but also before and after school, during gym classes
- Thus, we, parents, need to start fundraising for a new playground for ALL the students at Abraham Erb.
Why Parents need to fundraise
- In general, School Boards don’t subsidize or pay for playgrounds, but they have strict policies regarding new playground construction.
- New playgrounds are a significant investment – they cost a lot. A significant portion of the “price” is not the play structure itself, but the installation and final base for the structure.
- The Playground Committee is working to get donations from some businesses – but it can’t be done by this small group alone. YOU need to send the letter out to your employer, and funds contributed directly by parents will help convince businesses to donate as well.
How to donate to Abraham Erb P.S.’s new playground
We appreciate all donations. Please fill in the Playground Parent & guardian Donation Form sent home with your child on March 20th. You can also print the form here donor page.
Please return it with your cheque or online donation to the school, or email it to the Playground Committee at AbrahamErbPlayground@gmail.com (only for online donations). We would like to recognize donations at the Supporter Level and above ($150 or more), please fill in Part 2 of the form to allow us to recognize your generous donation (we respect your privacy, if you prefer, please check ‘anonymous’ and we will only say that an anonymous donation has been made)
- Cash and personal cheques
- Please bring cash to Abraham Erb P.S.’s Principal, Heather Schumann.
- Cheques should be payable to “WEFI” (which stands for Waterloo Education Foundation). Please write “Abraham Erb P.S. Playground” on the memo line.
- Tax receipts will be issued by the school board after the donation is processed by board’s accounting department.
- Head to Abraham Erb’s online donation website https://www.canadahelps.org/dn/15506 (this is the CanadaHelps.org webpage, set up by the Waterloo Region District School Board)
- Select “Abraham Erb PS” from the dropdown list.
- Fill in amount. Currently all donations go through WEFI’s Abraham Erb PS fund.
- Indicate “Abraham Erb Playground fund” as a “message”.
- Continue with donation process.
- Tax receipt for on-line donation is issued immediately after the on-line payment is completed. Credit cards and other methods of payment are available.
If you would like to volunteer, please contact Carolyn at AbrahamErbPlayground@gmail.com
We need few volunteers to:
- help contact local businesses as potential sponsors.
- help with odd jobs, like assisting with newsletters, sending out thank you letters.
Updates will be posted on the News & Updates page as they are available, including our most recent donations of $150 or more. Please see the Our Sponsors page for recognition of our bronze level and above sponsors. Thank you all for your generous support and donations!
If you have any questions, please email Carolyn at AbrahamErbPlayground@gmail.com or come into the school and talk with Principal Heather Schumann today.